It is a proven fact that business owners and SEO experts put their extreme efforts to get their website ranked on the 1st page of the search result pages of Google Search Engine.
However, there are some competitors which are ranked lower and performing a negative SEO strategy using unethical and unnatural ways against the high-ranking sites. This can have a long-term impact on the websites ranking in Google
That means it is very important to remove spammy backlinks that could negatively affect your website rankings and its authority. Before we understand how to remove spammy backlinks, let’s know the process to find these spam links.
How to Identify Spammy Backlinks
Spammy links can be identified easily by differentiating them with good links according to the authority of the site they came from.
Some of the spammy links you can easily identify are as follows:
- The links from a particular domain like .ru, .nl, and .cn are found to be always spammy.
- Backlinks that come from link networks in large numbers.
- The links coming from low authority directory sites.
- The links coming from irrelevant sites not related to your theme.
How to Remove Spammy Backlinks
To remove the unwanted backlinks you need to perform a complete backlink audit to find the spammy links. To perform a full backlink analysis some tools can be really helpful.
Tools to find Spammy Links
SEMrush: The backlink audit tool from SEMRush is a great way to find toxic links linked to your sites. The domain ranging from 60-100 are highly Toxic, whereas 45-59 is Potentially Toxic.
Majestic: From the majestic tool we can find the low trust flow sites linked to your website
Now that you have found the spammy links from the above tools. You have to remove that backlink. Here are the two steps you can take to remove the links.
- Contact the Website Owner: In this step, you need to contact the website owner/webmaster to politely request to remove your link from their website. Specify the exact location where the link is placed and ask them to remove it.
- Monitor & Track the Link Removal Request: You have sent the removal request to the website owner, but it isn’t always enough to get rid of spammy links. You need to monitor and find out if the webmaster has removed your link or not and if the website owner doesn’t respond to your request within 8-10 days send them follow-up mail.
- Disavow the Backlinks using Google Search Console: If the website owner refused to remove your link from their site or does not respond to your request after 15 days. Thankfully Google Search Console allows us to disavow the unwanted links that you don’t want to associate with your site. You just need to create a disavow file containing the spammy links which you don’t want to associate with your website. After creating the list you simply go to the Google Disavow Links tool and upload your disavow file.
After uploading your list, you need to be patient – it takes some time for the disavow file to get processed, and all you can do is wait for your keyword rankings to start recovering slowly.
The backlinks have a major impact on keyword rankings in Google. So you need to identify and remove the spammy backlinks for your website regularly to not be penalized by google due to bad links.
If you still have problems finding the spammy backlinks from your website, contact White Label SEO Lab. We are the leading white label digital marketing agency with a professional team to help you find & remove spammy links.